Saturday, March 19, 2011

Amazing What You'll Find At The Library!

This was in one of the books I checked out hoping it would help with my capstone research paper:
Of course, what caught my eye first was the awesome eagle with the book in its talons, then I noticed the inscription on the banner: "Books are Weapons in the War of Ideas."  How awesome is that?!


Then came the italics: "This complete edition is produced in full compliance with the government's regulations for conserving paper and other essential materials."


My curiosity was piqued, to say the least.


Of course I then looked at the top of the page to see this was a first edition copyrighted in 1944!!  EEK!  I felt like I'd stolen something, but also felt the awe of holding - not only a first edition, but a wartime one! - a piece of history.


It occurs to me that we should feel like that more often as we handle books; they're pieces of history, records of our past, whether they're fiction or non-fiction.


Then, even more profoundly, it dawned on me that we are pieces of history, too!  So there's that to think about as well when we're trying to treat others as we would be treated, see them through the Lord's eyes, etc.


So as you go about your day and interact with friends, acquaintances, and strangers, please remember: Handle with Care.


Bayou, Roo


(Coincidentally, that book is practically useless as an historical source for my purposes.  Too sentimental and flowery.  Go figure.)

1 comment:

  1. I hope there was more printed on that page, otherwise a whole page was wasted to tell you that they are saving paper.

    ReplyDelete