Thursday, January 27, 2011

Relenting. I Suppose...

So, I've decided to not be so territorial about names.  I mean, honestly, how many children am I going to end up having anyway?  And it should be a compliment that other people want to name their kids the same names I like.  It shows good taste on their part.


It wasn't too long ago that one in every 10 girls was named Mary and the boys were named John.  No one was bothered with individuality then.  Of course it was also a time when it was considered disrespectful or overly intimate to call an acquaintance by their first name.  Especially if they were of the opposite sex.


Anyway, that was off topic.  But seriously, if someone else wants to name their little girl Afton, then I know I already have a bond with the mom through either Nickel Creek and/or Robert Burns.  Right?


However, if you're family and you "steal" one of my favorite names (without prior discussion and approval) I will kill you.


ps - incidentally, the video actually is the Afton Water (it's not called a river, for reasons I have yet to discover) and is the exact spot that my family saw when we visited Scotland just the following summer.  You can even see the rock I perched out on when I got the water.  Fair warning, though, the person isn't a steady hand and doesn't zoom out enough in my opinion.  Also, could've gotten more shots of upstream. Gorgeous.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Afton, I believe, is also a family name on my mom's side. You'd have to ask her, but I'm pretty sure it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did mention that, Diane. Though he couldn't remember if it was a girl or boy's name.

    ReplyDelete