Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Father's Day

So, the plan was to make this Father's Day extra special because it would be - literally - Pooh's first EVER.
Now, I know what you're thinking: "Tigger was born last March, so last year Pooh had a 'real' Father's Day. Silly Roo..."

But no. No he did not.

For the past 30 years or so, Pooh's family reunion has taken place over Father's Day weekend. We'd show up Thursday evening, and head on back home Sunday morning. So the whole breakfast in bed, here's another tie, special songs at church thing was never part of his life.
Last year, the tribe voted to move reunion to the week after Father's Day so some members of the family could actually come, and the fathers could actually be celebrated in ways that didn't involve threats to pipe down or I'll pull this car over, so help me!

So, like I said, the plan was to make it special since it'd be his first. I was going to get up and make him pancakes (because Pooh loves pancakes more than just about anything else in the world. Besides Tigger and me), but I rolled over to get out of bed and hurt just about everywhere, so that didn't happen.
We went to church where we did not sing "O My Father," which I found more than a little ironic considering the two years previous (not including this year) we had sung it for Mother's Day
Yeah. I know.
The fathers were treated to a brunch of cinnamon rolls, sausages, milk, and orange juice (which Tigger reportedly drank for his father), and while it was wonderful and sweet it was a bit disappointing that the Snickers "ties" in the kitchen were for the other ward. (I totally would've stolen that, making it fully a not-so-special Father's Day...)
I think the special-est part was getting to Skype my dad and Facetime Pooh's dad, wishing them a Happy Father's Day: something we haven't been able to do since we've been married. With his dad it's always been a, "well, happy Father's Day. Drive safe" as we leave camp and a hurried and sketchy call on my cell while there's still service to my dad on the drive home.
So that was our First Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment